Monday, January 2, 2012

What I Learned at WORLD

In October, I had the privilege of being selected as one of 10 mid-career writers from around the country to attend a writing intensive at the headquarters of WORLD magazine in Asheville, NC. It was, undoubtedly, one of the highlights of my career as a writer. It was both exhilarating and humbling; intensely educational and frustrating. For at least eight hours each day, we evaluated writing (ours and others), deeply discussed world and theological issues, and underwent a thorough refresher course in writing and journalism. In the evenings, I wrote until midnight to complete assignments that were "due" the next morning. As a writer, I feel like my skills were challenged, stretched, and fine-tuned. Writing is a continuous art - one that never reaches perfection. To be in an environment where I could focus on elevating my craft with no "life" interruptions for a solid week was thrilling!
What I learned was invaluable. Here are a few items I will share. The editors of WORLD refer to writing mistakes as "broken windows."

#1 Avoid split infinitives. In the modern language, splitting usually involves a single adverb coming between the verb and its marker. Very frequently, this is an emphatic adverb, for example:
I need you all to really pull your weight.
Instead, it should read: I need you to pull your weight.
#2 Use a colon when you have a strong quote or information that you want to spotlight.
#3 Choose adjectives wisely.
#4 As a fellow WORLD writer conveyed: "Don't tell me it's hot. Show me the steaming pavement melting the crayon."
#5 Make every word count. Every word, sentence, paragraph needs to entice readers to read to the end.
#6 If possible, know the audience you are trying to reach and write to that audience.
#7 Tell a story; don't just make a list of facts. Every story typically has a protagonist, antagonist, a mission, and a barrier.
#8 If you're doing an interview, don't be afraid to ask a dumb question in order to get the information you need or to engage the interviewer in the subject.
#9 Avoid quotations that simply repeat something that has already been written. Make the quotations count: notable, clear, specific, a way to advance the story.
#10 EVERYONE needs to edit their work and EVERYONE needs to be edited. Always turn in the very best work.
I learned much, much more - especially that I need to write, write, write. Hope this encourages you to continue writing as well.

"Happy is the heart of him who writes; he is young every day." (unknown)

No comments:

Post a Comment